Monday, June 18, 2012

Is It Cleaning Day?


The other day I was helping my oldest son clean his room.  A job I have dreaded and did not want to do.  My son has a very creative mind.  He makes many, many things out of whatever he can find.  Cardboard is one of his favs.  He also takes anything electronic apart that no longer works.  So, anywhere you look in his room you will find wires, loose screws, tools, cardboard and shreds of cardboard, wood, well....just about anything you can think of.  If there is a way he can build something, give him time to process it and he will find a creative way to do it.  I am always amazed at what he does....this is truly a gift from God.

So, with all this creativity,  I have been very overwhelmed by all this stuff he has accumulated that I just didn't want to go in.  The kids seem to always forget about or do not see the other things in their room that are either broken, they no longer need....or just plain trash!  That's when I come in, usually with a trash bag and overhaul their rooms.

My oldest son's room was beginning to be cluttered with all the extra stuff that he couldn't find anything he really needed.  As I worked through this room with him we had our moments of deciding what was to go and what was to be kept.  Going through this process I was reminded of how God must see us sometimes.  We fill our lives with so much stuff (aka 'trash') that we can't see what really matters or what is most important. God may be telling you what needs to go and what needs to be kept.  He loves us so much that he wants the best for us.  Sometimes he will also place people in our lives that will help us to see things that we can't, to help us get rid of those things that are cluttering our lives, hearts or minds.

Is it time for you to go through a cleaning process?  Spend some time in prayer today and ask God to reveal those things and He will be there to help you through the process.

Blessings,

Stephanie

1 comment:

Becky said...

Loved reading your posts! However, I can completely relate to the one about decluttering your life. I lived years with a lot of accumlated things simply because I couldn't/wouldn't say no. After dad passed away, I realized how short life could be and begin to realize that I couldn't be the best ME for myself, my daughter, my husband and most of all for God! It's been a work in progress for the past 2 years and I even had to end a life long friendship because their life choices were beginning to bring me down. It was hard but I realize that we can't let things like that keep us chained down! Look forward to reading future posts!